Sunday, April 29, 2012


Having reached Tobermory, and being surprised at our visit coinciding with the annual Music Festival we enjoyed our rest day. My day involved Hitch Hiking across the island to Climb my first Munroe 3000ft from sea level. I reverted to my youth and wrote out on A4 in Black pen my desired destination – “Ben More” and set off walking from Tobermory towards Salen ( No public transport and the taxis were still dealing with the drunken music lovers from Sat night.) . Within 5 minutes a car stopped and Jeff Moore of the Island gave me a lift right to the foot of Ben More. I had arrived at the start by 9.15 on a fantastic clear sunny day with no mist.
The climb was stunning – not technically difficult to navigate and no scrambling just a straight slog to the top. I saw a Mountain Hare and loads of birds that I am still identifying. The top gave clear views up to Skye; down to Jura and across towards the high mountains around Fort William.

Going down was easy and a stop near a water fall gave time to share the experience with Helen at home courtesy of Vodaphone.

Once down I was faced with a seven mile trek back to Salen. I wasn't looking forward to this bit as it was into a stiff cold North easterly along the Loch edge. After about 4 miles I was picked up by Wayne Hamilton who dropped me in Salen. Wayne was the caretaker of one of the private estate islands. After being dropped by Wayne I was picked up by Ian and taken to Tobermory . Ian was on the Island for his daughters wedding on Monday but had just taken his mum to hospital. I am very grateful for all those who interrupted their lives to give a total stranger a lift. I was back at the boat by 3pm to hear Galway Girl being performed at the pub next door as I type this blog – now for a shower and a pint ( also a pain killer!)  What a great day.

4 comments:

Ian said...

Ian I hope the wedding goes well and your mum gets better . Many thanks IP

Malcolm said...

No doubt the birds,when identified, will be very exotic and not have been seen there in the past 40yrs.
P.S.Still drying out from last Friday have a good un.
Malcolm.

Malcolm said...

No doubt the birds,when identified, will be very exotic and not have been seen there in the past 40yrs.
P.S.Still drying out from last Friday have a good un.
Malcolm.

Ian said...

white tailed sea eagle - check the twitching sites - its there.