Tuesday, June 26, 2012

We are now in Whitby. On the way down from Blyth we saw plenty of sea bird life


and I spent ages trying to get a photo of a puffin with a beak full of

sand eels - no luck they always dive at the critical moment of focus,

leaving plenty of pictures of a blank sea..



We also saw a large but lazy fin which was swiming from side to side

rather than up and down like a dolphin. Handel was convinced it was a

basking shark - it was big but I am not claiming it as a confirmed

sighting. Did look a bit sinister but I know basking sharks are harmless ( unless you run into them)



Whitby is great and we are staying until tonight's tide so we can do a

few repairs - we have had a few rough days but there is nothing

serious that a climb up the mast this afternoon will not fix. I am spending

the rest of my time looking round old pubs and walking the steps past our old holiday cottage

up to the Abbey.



The next leg is the longest so far and we are going to try and reach

Lowerstoft in two days time. I'll confirm when we are there. The

weather still isn't being too helpful and its on the nose again. We

spoke to a guy on another boat who was coming the other way round and

they have had the same????  What is happening to our weather, I have to keep reminding myself its June nearly July.



Up to now it makes 10 boats we've met doing the trip either clockwise

or anticlockwise, surprisingly we ran into (not literally) another

boat from Conwy going round anticlockwise - they set off last August

and have been taking their time but they are now on their way to the Orkneys and are looking forward to seeing friends there.

This is from an internet cafe so no photos until I get a marina connection.

No comments: