Thursday, July 26, 2012

At lastI I've found an internet point in a marina that isn't flakey. I am In Falmouth after a busy week. I can't believe it that it was only a week ago that I returned to the boat.  Since then I have a number of long days sailing in great weather. So good i thought I was back in Greece. 

From Eastbourn I did a long hop to Haslar marina in Portsmouth. Slight mistake in planning the next day not to realise that it was the first hot Sunday we have had this year - resulting in wall to wall boats of all description.  The main problem was that evry other boat believed they were the "stand on vessel" and I was the give way vessel. If ever there was a case for mandatory licensing of boats the Solent gives the evidence. There are some very professional people down here and there is another school of  the not so clever.

I should have realised as I emerged from the marina there was a constant flow of VHF messages asking the coastguard for radio checks - not something that is heard elsewhere in the Uk.

I sailed down the Solent to the Hurst narrows and then set off for Weymouth.  This was a fanmtastic little place with a great atmosphere. I arrived just a day before the security systems were to kick in for the Olympics. Even so i was made welcome and found a space virtually in town and next to a pub and coffee house; with a supermarket just round the corner - bliss.

When I left Weymouth I sailed past HMS Bulwalk, I also saw the Lazer Teams coming out of Portland for a practice. There were also lots of helicopters and rigid inflatable speedboats whizzing around looking at passing yacIhts.

From Weymouth I moved onto Salcombe. This is a beautiful little placed which seems to be totally geared to yachting. I moored on a buoy in the fairway and then went for a pint. When I returned to the boat via the water taxi I was amazed to see that a boat had rafted up next to me on the same buoy. The boat was from Conwy and belonged to Cath and Bill who I'd had a drink with in Conwy Marina on my last night before setting off - coincidence or what ( must buy a lottery ticket). I had no idea they were down here.

From Weymouth it was another long haul to Falmouth where I am sorting the boat for my final big right turn round Landsend. All the photos are on the next post.

No comments: