Friday, August 10, 2012



Bardsey with the mist rolling in from the sea....

The trip up from Milford wasn't going to be straight to North Wales but to Fishguard. Having left Dale early and negotiated my way round the Bishop Rocks I decided to go for it and to miss out Fishguard. This gave me an estaimated time of arrival in Abersoch as being around 3.00am but we were going well and it was a nice day.  I actually got the anchor  down at 1.00am but was glad to get into bed. The trip up was accompanied by much loud music and many dolphines - probably one of the best days.

The next day I went into Pwhelli for a proper rest and met Helen for a fish and chip dinner  - I know how to treat a girl.  Helen actually stayed the night and slept well but wouldn't accompany me on to Holyhead. Itw as great to see her.

I set off from Pwhelli a little later than I'd planned - Pwhelli has a shallow entrance and I'd planned to push the mud to get out early for the tide North as I still had 58 mile to go and the winds were very light.
As I got out to Bardsey I saw the mist rolling round the island and it gradually disappeared from view. The next ten hours were spent crawling along in thick fog  - straining to hear noises of other vessels and keenly watching the plotters for contacts.  My thanks to the pilot of the Diving vessel Protector - it just missed me! I'd seen it on the plotter and tried to call it a number of times as it was on a converging course . It was doing 14knots and I was doing 3knots. It was also the give way vessel. Protector totally ignored me and I had to  take what avoiding action I could.  I never saw the vessel properly but heard it and felt its wash as it steamed past me across my bows - still at 14knots. I'd like to think it did know I was there but somehow doubt it.

The next vessel to emerge from the mist was a ferry - we both knew we were in close proximity and the ferry moved over a bit for me but it was still spooky seeing it come through the mist.

I was glad when the mist lifted just as I was approaching Holyhead breakwater. I was then pleased to get along side for some hot food and a drink - I was soaked from the fog.

No comments: